Erik M. Hume, Esq.
Erik M. Hume, Esq. is the Chair of Saxton & Stump’s Real Estate Group and a member of the Business and Corporate Law Group.
In his real estate practice, Erik handles a variety of matters including commercial and residential real estate transactions, land development, commercial loan origination and counseling of clients on complex condominium and planned community matters. He regularly takes the lead in complex real estate development projects, including the negotiation of agreements of sale, coordinating due diligence, obtaining entitlements and managing the closing process. As a licensed title agent, Erik coordinates settlements and issues title policies. Erik has represented a number of clients in complex real estate transactions, including residential real estate developers, credit unions, pipeline companies, auto dealers, regional retail chains, colleges and universities and health care providers.
In Erik’s practice he also represents parties in oil and gas law matters. His experience includes drafting and negotiating oil and gas leases, surface use agreements, oil, gas and mineral reservations and pipeline rights of way. He has lectured several times on oil and gas development issues in Pennsylvania.
Erik also handles business and corporate matters including mergers and acquisitions, asset purchases and sales, corporate governance, shareholder disputes and entity selection and formation.
Prior to joining Saxton & Stump, Erik gained valuable experience as a partner at two local law firms.
Erik is also a member of multiple professional organizations including the Pennsylvania Bar Association, the Pennsylvania Builders Association, the Home Builders Association of Metro Harrisburg, the West Shore Chamber of Commerce, and a member of the 2010 class of Leadership Harrisburg.
University of Pittsburgh School of Law, J.D., 1999
Lehigh University, B.A., 1996
Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
United States District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania
BIA of Lancaster County
Pennsylvania Bar Association, Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section
- Member, Section Council
- Member, Real Property Legislative Committee
Pennsylvania Builders Association
- Member, Government Affairs Committee
- Trustee, PA Committee for Affordable Housing
Home Builders Association of Metro Harrisburg
- Member, HBA PAC Committee
West Shore Chamber of Commerce
- Chair, Government Affairs Committee
Susquehanna Area Regional Airport Authority, Board Member
Cumberland Valley Eagle Foundation, Board Member
Boy Scout Troop 296, Assistant Scoutmaster
Select Lawyers, 2015
Leadership Harrisburg, Class of 2010
Pennsylvania Bar Institute’s Annual Real Estate Institute, Creating Your First Common Interest Community: An Overview for Creating Projects Under the Condominium and Planned Community Acts, December 2018
Manages and coordinates complex real estate development projects. Work on these projects includes:
- Drafting and negotiation of purchase and sale agreements, leases, and other transaction documents
- Review and analysis of title and resolution of title defects
- Coordination, review, and analysis of due diligence including environmental reports, building reports, and leases
- Advice and analysis regarding zoning, subdivision, land development, stormwater, utilities, and entitlements and obtaining approvals from issuing authorities
- Preparation, review, and negotiation of easements, rights of way, covenants, and use restrictions including reciprocal easement agreements and shopping center declarations
- Negotiation and review of financing documents
- Representative clients include financial institutions, shopping center tenants, car dealers, and homebuilders
Creates and manages condominium, planned community, and HOA documents for the residential and commercial sectors. Representative projects include:
- Mixed-use communities featuring commercial uses together with multiple housing types
- Commercial “dirt” condominium for retail uses
- Medical office building condominium
- Residential planned communities in size from 17 townhomes up to hundreds of multiple housing types
- Master and sub-associations
- Condominium for automotive dealership campus
Represents lenders in the origination, modification, and workout of commercial loans
Represents both pipeline companies and landowners in the acquisition and development of pipeline rights of way
Represents community and HOA in the review and modification of condominium, planned community, and HOA governing documents
Represents parties in the negotiation of oil and gas leases and conveyances and analysis of oil and gas rights
Represents hospitals and medical practices in the acquisition, development and leasing of real estate, including medical offices, surgery centers and hospital facilities
STAY IN TOUCH
Stay informed with firm updates, legal news, and industry resources sent directly to your inbox.
280 Granite Run Drive, Suite 300
Lancaster, PA 17601
Phone: (717) 556-1000
Fax: (717) 441-3810
4250 Crums Mill Road, Suite 201
Harrisburg, PA 17112
Phone: (717) 216-5505
Fax: (717) 547-1900
100 Deerfield Lane, Suite 240
Malvern, PA 19355
Phone: (484) 328-8500
Fax: (484) 713-52410